Skills & Training Programme
Learn new skills and help Coldharbour Mill thrive!
We are delighted to announce that in January we will be launching a new skills training programme as part of our Splash! project, and wider heritage attraction work.
The training programme is being funded through a ESF Community Grant and is aimed at helping unemployed or inactive people gain new skills and move into work. ESF Community Grants are funded by the European Social Fund (ESF) and the Education and Skills Funding Agency, and are managed by Petroc in Devon and Somerset.
The first phase of the programme will run from January until the end of March. Training will take place on Thursdays and participants will need to sign up for and commit to attend 12 sessions over the 3-month training periods. All participants travel and training costs are covered by the training programme.
We are offering training opportunities for unemployed or inactive people looking to learn new skills and improve their employability by developing Rural Skills & Countryside Management.
You will help us manage and improve our community wildlife space at the Mill as part of our Splash project. This is a great opportunity to kick start a career working in countryside management. Training will include the following plus more!
- Woodland creation/planning, tree planting and tree aftercare – planting of native tree saplings to create new hedgerows.
- Fencing and estate maintenance – installing/maintaining fencing, dry stone wall repair.
- Brush-cutter training – 2-day brush-cutter safety and maintenance course delivered by external company. Participants will receive a NPTC after completing the training.
- Hedge laying training – 1-day practical hedge laying course run by Blackdown Hills Hedge Association.
- Wildlife awareness and law – 1-day theory and practical training day to ensure participants are aware of UK law in relation to protected species (e.g. bats, nesting birds, great crested newts) and seasons for undertaking habitat management work.
- Tree and plant identification – 1-day tree and plant identification training day including invasive and non-native species awareness.
- First aid training – Emergency First Aid at Work training
- Work experience/placements – we will link participants with local landscaping/horticulture businesses or nature conservation organisations following the training.
Eligibility of participants
Participants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be legally resident in the UK and able to take paid employment in an EU member state
- Be aged 16 years and over
- Be unemployed (refers to persons who are without work, available for work and actively seeking work) or,
- Be inactive (Not in employment and not registered as unemployed. Full time students are considered as inactive but not eligible for this provision as they are not available for work)
Contact us to find out more, check your eligibility and register you interest!
Museum and Heritage Attraction Skills Programme
If you find you are not eligible for the Rural Skills programme or want to learn additional skills we are also offering a programme in Museum and Heritage Attraction skills
During this you will help us with the day to day running of our museum, learn new skills and gain experience. This is a great opportunity to kick start a career working within the Heritage sector. Training will include the following:
- Office administration and Computing – experience and skill development in the running of our visitor attraction and charity including basic computer systems training
- Event organisation, promotion and management – skill development in organising, promoting and running public events, education sessions and other activities including using social media
- Hospitality – work experience in our café including barista training.
- Visitor reception – work experience in our customer facing reception and shop.
- Steam Team – learn about and help maintain working steam boilers and engines.
- Heritage Wool Spinning and Weaving – Learn how to spin wool and weave cloth on heritage machines.
Get in touch with us to find out more or register interest!